Saturday, February 23, 2013

The Best Films of 2012: 6-4

Let's just keep this thing moving.  Hit the jump to start with #6...



#6

Looper

















Dir. Rian Johnson

Last year, my list was topped by none other than Nicolas Winding Refn’s modern masterpiece Drive.  If I had to re-rank the list, Drive would still be the best.  What does this have to do with Rian Johnson’s Looper?  Well, I think one of the reasons I loved Drive so much was it’s ability to be so much more than what it appeared to be on the surface.  Looper accomplishes something very similar.  On the surface, this looks like a pretty run of the mill sci-fi action film.  What you really get is a thoughtful sci-fi drama with a lot of heart.  Johnson and his star, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, gave a much needed shot in the arm to a genre that seemed to be on the decline.  It may be a movie that leaves you with some questions at the end, but as long as it gets you thinking, it has done it’s job.




#5

Silver Linings Playbook

















Dir. David O. Russell 

Despite all the praise this film got coming out of the Toronto International Film Festival and from other early screenings, I never really had any intention on seeing it.  I do like David O. Russell and I enjoyed his previous work with Three Kings and The Fighter, but I wasn’t sure this one was for me.  Still, when I heard Robert DeNiro was actually good in this, I had to see for myself that it was true.  And, guess what? It was!  But it’s not just Bobby D who was great, it was the whole cast (as evidenced by every major player in the film getting an Oscar nod).  Along with DeNiro, you have Jacki Weaver earning her second nomination after 2010’s Animal Kingdom.  She plays a mother again, albeit a much less diabolical one and shows she was not just a one hit wonder.  Then you have Bradley Cooper, who apparently can really act in things other than The Hangover.  This was obviously a stepping stone to a new career direction for him.  But, the best of them all has to be Jennifer Lawrence.  If you couple this with The Hunger Games, it’s obvious she has a lot of versatility.  When she wins Best Actress for this performance (calling it), then she will have officially cemented herself as one the best actresses working in Hollywood.   All these performances add up to make a really great, charming, and witty film.  With all my initial reservations, I am glad I gave this one a shot.

 

  #4

Rust and Bone

















Dir. Jacques Audiard

When it comes to French dramas, no director does it better than Jacques Audiard.  The auteur last made a picture back in 2010 with the searing crime epic A Prophet (very highly recommended, by the way) and now he has returned with an emotional drama in the vein of Blue Valentine.  As great a job as Audiard did in crafting this truly unique love story, it couldn’t have possibly been as good without it’s two leads, Matthias Schoenaerts and Marion Cottilard.  This marks the second film on this list starring Schoenaerts and I think he has cemented himself as the breakthrough actor of the year.  Seeing a few interviews I have with him, it’s pretty clear that his English is pretty good also, so it is only a matter of time before we see him in Hollywood.  Even though I thought Schoenaerts did an excellent job, this is really Marion Cottilard’s show.  For what it’s worth (and that’s not anything, really) I thought she gave the single best performance of any actor in any movie this year.  Playing a double amputee cannot be an easy task, but she completely nails it.  I never even had a moment while watching the film where it occurred to me that she actually has legs in real life.  It’s her performance alone and the chemistry she has on-screen with Schoenaerts that make this film worthwhile.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment